Monday, February 25, 2008

Moving Forward...

I knew it wouldn't be great. But over 250? Man... I didn't want to tell anyone; just hanging out with my all-too-big cholesterol secret.  Okay, I broke down after a few minutes and texted Mrs. to say I'd had a bad result.  As rotten as it was to get the number, it was a hundred times worse to hear the worry in her voice when she called me.  Luckily, we were planning to meet for lunch, which would give us a chance to really talk about it.  

It was a good lunch.  I'd sum it up with two words:  short shrift.  Mrs. gave me some honest insight to go along with my big number.  While it was a bit hard to hear at times, I knew she was right.  I had to use this as a turning point.  Anything else would be cheating both of us.  The funny thing is, even though it was a bummer getting the result, moving forward has been a really positive time.  I'm getting really excited about food again, in a way that was totally missing from my life in the last year or so.  I had forgotten how good it can feel to plan a menu or do an extremely selective shop based on one of Mrs.' many fantastic recipes.  I also realised how totally joyless (and thoughtless)  much of my eating had become.  I wasn't eating an extra slice of pizza or those few extra tortilla chips because I was enjoying the food.  I decided I'm going to call it Robot Eating.  No thinking, just munching.  Anyway, mustn't ramble too much. It's time to get going.  This is going to be a quite a battle at times... but for the first time, I really believe it's moving forward - I know we can do this and the payoff should be phenomenal!  
- Mr. 

No comments: