Tuesday, March 4, 2008

No to yoga!

Nothing like a dramatic headline, right? It's great that we've made some good changes in our diet, but both Mr and I know that without regular exercise we're not going to see the changes we want (yes, you belly rolls - your days are numbered!). We have tried many different kinds of yoga which have frustrated us no end...everyone else is in a state of zen while we huff and puff in the corner. You do get undeniably visible fast results physically, but we never could stick with it. For some reason we could not click with yoga or any of the fabulous yoginis who tried to keep us on the zen side. Both of us realised that the reason it wasn't working was that neither of us LOVED yoga. We appreciate it's benefits, we definitely want the results, but we didn't get that great exercise buzz from yoga. So what works - for me it's dance. I can dance until sweat is streaming off me and I still can keep going. I never look at the clock to see when the class is going to end and I can always find another scrap of energy to keep going. For Mr. it's basketball - when he gets home (I can usually smell him in the corridor before he arrives in!) he is sopping with sweat, but with a great spark in his eyes - he has worked out, he has gotten exercise, but he loved it! But with dance three times a week for me, and basketball once a week for him, it's hard to find ways to get exercise, but still have fun the other nights of the week. Once upon a time we had a rule that in the evenings we could only talk about work when we were out walking - it diffused the stress of the day and also kept that stress out of the home, always a good thing. Mr has one of those Nike things where you can measure your distance, speed etc while you walk and then have competitions with your friends. Seems like it might be time for a new NIKE tournamet!

Mrs
xxx

No comments: