Wednesday, March 5, 2008

That was exercise?

Hey everybody...  sorry for the prolonged absence since my last entry, I'm gonna try to avoid that going forward - even when I'm totally distracted by the weekend!  Looks like Mrs. went into a lot of my thoughts on the weekend already, so I'm not going to rehash too much.  I want you to keep reading, after all.  I've had a few thoughts over the weekend, though, which I'd like to share...

While I feel a huge benefit already from the change in my diet, I can hear a little voice in the back of my head reminding me it's not going to be enough on its own.  I really have to get the exercise truck fired up.  Gone are the gym-rat days of old where I could easily waste 3 hours a day playing basketball.  Much as I'd love it, I just have too many other things going on that I want to focus on. It's a funny thing with me and basketball.  I know I'm getting a great workout, but I don't even think of it as exercise.  Once I get into the flow of a game, my adrenaline flicks on that competitive streak, and that's that.  It's like a little motor inside me that won't stop even when I'm sucking air and my legs are wobbling like jelly.  I love it.  When I finish playing, I always find myself asking...  that was exercise??  I really must find more exercise that feels like basketball, but fits in with the other things in my life.  Easier said than done I reckon!

In other news, I get my blood test tomorrow.  No results, just the whole poking and drawing bit.  I'm hopeful that some of these changes will already be affecting this test in a positive way.  I know it's early days, but I'm allowed to hope, right?  I'm finding it a lot easier to think in a positive way about this stuff.  I'm actually excited about choosing healthier turkey sausages, where before I would have turned up my nose and happily plowed into those greasy, delicious, fat-full, 0h-so-delicious bratwursts grilled to that perfect bursting point... ahem.  Hey, I said I was excited at the choice, right?  I can't really be expected to turn off decades of bratwurst-ing in a few weeks ;)

See ya again soon...

-Mr. 

PS... C'mon faithful readers!  Don't forget you can post some quick comments after you read - we'd love to hear your feedback :)  Just click the little link below that says "0 comments"... and then let us have it!  Also, all you Nike + readers, let's follow Mrs.' plan and get the competition on!

1 comment:

Stickiferous said...

I'm totally in favor of starting up the Nike+ challenges again. Ant says she wants it to start on Monday, so everyone who wants in, should email me at klink6@gmail.com

Love the blog. Great ideas you are sharing...and motivating too!

Pk